
A deal to evacuate rebel fighters and civilians from eastern Aleppo appears to have stalled, with heavy shelling reported in the Syrian city.
A ceasefire was declared in Aleppo on Tuesday and buses brought in to ferry people out of the devastated areas however fighting resumed on Wednesday. Evacuations had been due to start at 5am this morning but did not go ahead. Fresh shelling was reported several hours later.
A number of Syrian activists also say air strikes over rebel-held territory have resumed. In recent days government troops have made sweeping gains, confining the rebels to a small pocket of the city.
Ibrahim Abu-Laith, a spokesman for the White Helmets volunteer rescue group, said “more than 40 people were injured.”
Residents of besieged eastern Aleppo have faced weeks of bombardment and chronic food shortages. Medical facilities in the city have largely been reduced to rubble.
On Tuesday the UN said it had received reliable evidence of summary executions taking place, saying that in four areas 82 civilians were killed by pro-government forces, adding that many more may have died.