
The police watchdog is investigating the case of a 16-year-old boy who was taken to hospital with a head injury after being hit with a police baton.
South Yorkshire Police said the incident occurred as attended a report of disorder between football fans at Barnsley Interchange on Saturday, following a Championship game between Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday at the Oakwell ground.
Assistant Chief Constable Lauren Poultney had since confirmed that the matter had been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
An officer was also taken to hospital with head and stomach injuries when violence erupted after the match.
Match Commander Chief Superintendent Sara Poolman said: "A full, open investigation will take place to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.
"This will include the actions that led to a 16-year-old boy sustaining a head injury from an officer's baton and an officer being assaulted, sustaining injuries to his stomach and head."
Following the incident, a 47-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker.